[CentOS-devel] sun java rpms in on dev.centos.org

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 17:48:41 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, Greg Swallow - SkyNet <gregswallow at skynetonline.ca> wrote:
> I just noticed them here (http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/testing/i386/RPMS/)
> and looked back and didn't see any note of them on this list.  I see they
> are licensed "DLJ 1.1" - this I guess -
> http://download.java.net/dlj/DLJ-v1.1.txt - which surprisingly looks like
> they're legal to distribute (with an operating system).  Is that correct?

DLJ does make it legal to distribute, although it's not open source,
and some distros are avoiding it. The rpms aren't quite perfect yet.
They're essentially a hasty build from dlj sources, and using the
jpackage spec. In the coming days I'll be rewriting the spec to take
advantage of the added extraction options in the dlj linux .bin file,
as well as making sure everything gets where it needs to be.

> What does CentOS plan to do with the rpms?  Can someone give some
> information on what stage of testing they're at and anything else to know
> about them please.

Right now they install fine, and work for most things, but a couple
files are missing from them, notably, rt.jar so some java applications
or custom builds won't work. They'll be updated soon and will be
maintained at least for CentOS 4. Right now I'm finishing up a build
for postgis to be included in the dev repository, and once that's
done, I'm getting back to work on the java packages.

Any other info about them you'd like?

George Orwell