[CentOS-devel] yum update behavior plugin

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Aug 12 23:16:01 UTC 2006

David Hrbáč wrote:
>> what I'd like to end up with is that if in a yum update process, there
>> is an update to yum itself - that yum update should run first, once
>> done, yum should then restart and run through the rest of yum update.
> plugin to remove all packages but yum, if yum is within updated
> packages, is easy to write. But plugin can only stop yum execution and I
> can't see way to run yum again after yum update by itself. What is the
> purpose of that plugin?

Hi David, thanks for picking up on this.

Just displaying a message will be enough for now - if the process can
exit with a 'yum has been updated, you need to now run yum again in
order to process the other updates' - that should be fine, i think.

purpose of the plugin is to fix an issue with yum itself, where it
breaks into bits when there is functionality changes in a yum update,
and can leave other packages in a not-completely-installed state.

in specific terms, the issue we have is updating yum 2.0 to yum 2.4 /
2.2 where there is a change in the way kernel packages are installed. If
yum is updated along with a new kernel package - the kernel package isnt
installed properly.

And besides this, I think packages in a repository should be able to
assume the functional process of the package manager included in the
repository.