[CentOS-devel] Installonlyn plugin for yum

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Aug 23 15:48:55 UTC 2006

Milan Keršláger wrote:
>>> Or better follow Fedora Core and put it into the yum package.
>> we could pull it into the main package, but it would need to stay
>> disabled - its too major a change in functionality to throw at people
>> midway during the release.
> It is not needed. Updates brings change in functionality every time are
> released (even from upstream).
> This is security enhancement also. Imagine that system boot with older
> kernel by mistake - this open the door for script kiddies (or hackers).

you have a valid point in that its a new point release, and its ok to
add functionality this way, BUT the issue is that there are admins out
there who would rely on having a stable distro - where functionality to
automatically start removing stuff does not get introduced midway.

And that is where my issue is - I dont want to introduce something
middway that will start removing packages automatically.

> So put it in and don't ask. Only write about it in the release info.

we can mention the availability of this plugin in the release notes,
would you like to do a small writeup of maybe 1 paragraph on this ? we
can then include that into the release notes perhaps ?

If the other centos developers agree, I see no harm in adding some info
about the existance of this plugin and what it would achieve.