[CentOS-devel] Re: sun java rpms in on dev.centos.org

Jim Perrin

jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 18:57:34 UTC 2006

> What's the reasoning for renaming the (jpackage) package name from
> java-1.5.0-sun to java-1.5.0-centos?
>
> Offhand, I'd consider that modification odd/unwise, unless there's some good
> (but not obvious to me) justification for doing so.

Simply, it's not sun java, so there's no need or reason to have the
sun name there.
The java package is from
https://jdk-distros.dev.java.net/developer.html, released under the
DLJ license. The original binary is jdk-1_5_0_07-distro-linux-i586.bin

Because it's built for Centos, centos is added to the name. There are
differences between this java, and the java jdk found at sun, so
calling them both sun java would be incorrect and may lead to
confusion though the differences are mostly in the jdk packaging and
attached license.

George Orwell