[CentOS-devel] iptables-devel in centos 4.4

Johnny Hughes

Mon Aug 21 12:29:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 14:12 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Milan Keršláger wrote:
> > I wonder - you have rules and exceptions. Why do you simply do not put
> > differencies ro the RELEASE-NOTES and join CentOS/RPMS and addons?
> > Separate dir is worthless because you have yum and i586 kernels in
> > CentOS/RPMS already. So this "rule" isn't working from the start
> > already.
>
> yum is there, because the architecture behind up2date (vulgo RHN) just
> isn't there, as it is *not* free software. The i586 kernel cannot go
> into a separate repository, as that won't be usable at install time --
> yes, that is a change regarding to the stuff upstream delivers.

The i586 kernel was/is extra support ... it does not affect the i686
kernel.  As Ralph pointed out, this is an exception to allow the i586
kernel to be used at start time.

> > I suggest distro and updates only.
>
> It would be against the CentOS goals - look at www.centos.org.
>
> > Then think about Extras, Plus and Contrib. This is really too
> > complicated.

It is not complicated ...

Extras - Items that add functionality and are not in upstream.  This
concept is quite popular and was added by Fedora as well in Fedora
Extras.

CentOSPlus - Items that are upgrades to actual CentOS content.  This
repo is so that people who want max compatibility can disable this repo.

Contrib - we don't have any in CentOS-4 ... and probably will never have
any (so this one is pretty much already dead).

> Stuff which *really* differs from upstream -- meaning that it
> *overwrites* stuff which comes from upstream -- has to go to centosplus,
> if at all.

We have more than a million users and most want upstream compatibility
and some want upgraded packages.  Having Extras, CentOSPlus and
Base/updates allows us to do both.

I am not going to fight with people about how we do this ... we have
already made the decisions.  We will continue doing things the way we
have for the last 2 years. It has made us 'THE' premiere community
enterprise linux distribution in the world ... and I see no reason to
change the formula that got us here.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes