[CentOS-devel] iptables-devel in centos 4.4

Matt Hyclak

hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Aug 23 11:35:21 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 01:29:45PM +0200, Milan Ker?láger enlightened us:
> > Milan Ker?láger wrote:
> > > What is wrong - you are building kernel with broken compiler even Red
> > > Hat does not. Even there is fixed compiler already in place and is
> > > usable with not breaking GPL rules.
> >
> > Oh come on. Not that again. That has all been explained in *detail* in
> > <http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1402>, where you couldn't explain
> > either on where to obtain the gcc the kernel has been compiled with by
> > the upstream vendor.
>
> The SRC packages are available from Beta channel from RHN. There is a
> person from your team who exacly know the version. So grab the SRC
> package and rebuild.
>
> If you know GPL you know that this is completly safe.
>
> Building broken kernel is WRONG. The kernel crashes and you know about
> it but do not build the kernel correctly. The kernel does not follow 'as
> close as possible' RHEL. This is wroong too as you may read in this
> thread.

And how can you prove that building the kernel with a BETA toolchain will
not result in a broken kernel as well? Maybe it fixes your problem - if
that's the case, feel free to get the BETA toolchain and rebuild for
yourself. Johnny has stated that he will continue to use the STABLE,
RELEASED toolchain. End of discussion.

> So what are you doing guys? Rules that you are do not follow but talking
> about following the rules? This is very very sad.

What rule are you referring to? The goal is to make CentOS as *close* to
binary compatible as possible, but there is also the goal to make CentOS
self-hosting - something that RedHat thus far has not done.

> If you know where the source is and you are unable to grab them, write
> to me - simple script is able to put them to any FTP site. I'm using
> CentOS and RHN too to give back to Red Hat at least a little.

As do many CentOS developers and users. Would you like a cookie?

Please end this discussion, it will fall on deaf ears until RedHat releases
their toolchain as stable.

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics