[CentOS-devel] iptables-devel in centos 4.4

Wed Aug 23 17:52:53 UTC 2006
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:34:40PM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Matt ... we are using gcc-3.4.6-3 now ... as it is being released in
> CentOS-4.4 ... however at the time of the kernel release in question
> (more than a month BEFORE the RHEL 4u4 release), there was no idea what
> what binutils, glibc or gcc was going to be released.  The new kernels
> are being built with the 4.4 toolchain, as is our standard practice.

So, the RHSA-2006:0617-15-based kernel from yesterday is built with the new
gcc, and the whole conversation is pretty frickin' moot.

> We will only build with released tool chains .. and whenever possible,
> we will build against the same tool chain as upstream. Some times that
> is not possible.  In the cases where it is not possible, we will build
> against the stable CentOS tree.
>
> We won't build against items in a beta status.

This is clearly a good general policy, but I do think it might be reasonable
to consider exceptions in some particular cases where the problem fixed is
severe *and* where changes from a known-stable version are clearly minor.
That may or may not fit this case, and given the above, I don't want to
waste any more of your time discussiong whether it does. :)