[CentOS-devel] malloc(): memory corruption

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Thu Dec 28 19:46:51 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 27 December 2006 23:17, Andrew Velikoredchanin wrote:
> Karanbir Singh:
> > Andrew Velikoredchanin wrote:
> >> libapreq2-2.02-dev selfinstalled
> >> mod_limitipconn-0.22-0 selfinstalled
> >> mod_rpaf-0.5-0 selfinstalled
> >
> > Get rid of this fluff, can you still reproduce the issue ? if you can,
> > open a bug report at http://bugs.centos.org/ along with a `rpm -qa` and
> > details of the hardware.
>
> Reason of this error is libapreq2-2.02-dev. Sorry, but I not have time
> for detail investigate.
>
> I try mod_perl2+libapreq2 last version and not detect this problems. But
> for my soft need mod_perl 1.99+libapreq < 2.04-dev. :(
>
> I reinstall OS on 32-bit version now. :(

Having just spent quite a bit of time wrestling with mod_perl, I might have
some insight into this.

the mod_perl sipped with CentOS is 1.99, but with a subversion BEFORE a major
API shift that was standardized for mod_perl 2.0.  Your libapreq2-2.02 is
probably trying to utilize the new API and running into problems.

You could either:
A) build or acquire RPMs for a true mod_perl 2.0 environment (I didn't have
much luck getting my target app to run when doing this, but that could have
been my particular app), or
B) wait for CentOS 5 and use that (if you are comfortable with using the
initial release).

I would suggest using CentOS 5 if you require the features of mod_perl 2.0 and
above.  If something has a problem, it will most likely be fixed by Redhat,
so you aren't responsible for tracking down small inconsistencies with self
installed packages.

If you have more problems with this, you will probably be better off posting
to the CentOS users list, since this is almost definitely a conflict with a
self installed package and not a core component failure/bug.

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks