[CentOS-devel] CentOS port to the ARM architecture?

Liviu Damian

liviudm.dev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 12:29:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 12/19/06, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> So far I have about 80% of Fedora Core 6 built for ARM, and with some
> minor gcc/glibc patching, it's been working pretty well for me so far.
> I suspect that the same patches applied to RHEL5 will produce a working
> version of RHEL5 for ARM without much effort.

RHEL5 is indeed based on Fedora Core 6, but has many patches and
improvements. I'd suggest you to grab RHEL5 Beta 2 (install cd's +
sources) and start rebuilding and removing the Red Hat branding. You
can register for a free RHN trial account and grab the isos.

> I wonder what steps are necessary and what the criteria to become an
> "official" CentOS arch port, apart from (obviously!) producing a set
> of RPMS.

I'm can't give you a certain answer because I'm not a CentOS
developer, but AFAIK you need to remove all Red Hat logos,
copywrights, etc and since Red Hat is not supporting the ARM
architecture, I'm afraid your port will not be as official as you
wish...

Best wishes,
--
Liviu Damian