[CentOS-devel] Re: New nx/freenx RPMS for CentOS-4 i386 in the Testing Repo

Sat Dec 9 16:29:53 UTC 2006
Kay Diederichs <kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de>

Kay Diederichs wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> I have been using the 32bit CentOS-provided freenx / nx successfully
>>> on x86_64 systems. I believe they require
>>> nxsetup --purge --uninstall
>>> nxsetup
>>> after the initial install, but then they work just fine.
>>> Now I'd like to update them to the testing ones, using yum. How can I
>>> do this - the .repo file in your posting does not work - my $basearch
>>> is wrong !? I think yum should have an option to override $basearch,
>>> or the i386 packages should somehow be visible in the x86_64 repo.
>>>
>>> Clearly I can download the .rpms and run yum or rpm directly, but
>>> there ought to be a more elegant way ...
>>>
>>> Kay
>>
>> Kay,
>>
>> They are both .i386 packages and I could put them in the x86_64 repo ...
>> but I haven't checked that all the dependancies are meet in the other
>> parts of the x86_64 repo.
>>
>> I will test that now and see if that is the case.
>>
>> The source from No Machine will not compile on x86_64, or we would have
>> an x86_64 version.  Since the source did not work for x86_64, I was
>> concentrating on making that work and I didn't think to try to make the
>> i386 version work on x86_64 :)
>>
>> For the purposes of testing, could you please manually download them and
>> install ... and if everything i386 required to support NX/FREENX is in
>> the base x86_64 repo already, then when we move these into production, I
>> can also put it into the x86_64 repo too.
>>
>> I am going to start looking at that aspect of it right now.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Johnny Hughes

> Johnny,
>
> manual installation of the i386 packages (freenx used to be a .noarch
> package which seems more appropriate, why did that change?) on x86_64
> worked well.
> A few moments ago, "yum update" to today's versions (now that they are
> in the x86_64 directory) also worked well.
>
> One thing that does not function as it used to is color management: the
> new nxserver produces the wrong colors in the client's window for some
> apps (I use xosview - all the colours in the bars are the same). This
> was no problem with the old version of nxserver.
>
> best,
> Kay

The error messages for xclock and xosview when using the new nx/freenx
packages are below, in case someone could look into this.

I know this kind of message from old times when using 8-bit colormaps.
But e.g. "xwininfo" tells me
   Depth: 24
   Visual Class: TrueColor

I'd also like to mention that this problem occur no matter if I use a
Linux or Windows NX client. So it seems that it's a server-only problem.
Going back to the old nx/freenx package fixes the colormap problems.

kay at turn13:-cns/ms686% xclock
Warning: Color name "black" is not defined
kay at turn13:-cns/ms686% xosview
XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : seagreen
XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : orange
XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : red
XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : seagreen
XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : yellow
[...]
XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : SkyBlue
XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : SlateBlue1