[CentOS-devel] Building a custom 2.6.9 kernel

William L. Thomson Jr.

wlt at obsidian-studios.com
Fri Feb 3 22:49:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 22:34 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> the problem we had was that conversation with this guy was heading up
> the troll-scale so fast and so high, that it really just regressed into
> noise.

Hardly anyone was on the channel at the time. Also once I was silenced
someone commented on the channel being quite? Not sure what your
definition of trolling, but I was not?

> he was pointed at the .src.rpm 5 times, but his mindset of building out
> of kernel-devel instead was hard to shake off ( he carried that with him
>   into the mailing list ).

My bad already stated. I did build a kernel using something other than
the src.rpm. I mistakenly though it was the kernel-devel package. Now I
am thinking it was a actual kernel rpm. Since I know it was not src.rpm.
I had to many problems with that.

>  I recall being pointed at a few kernel
> tarballs that had been built out of this said kernel-devel package even!

My bad.

> looking into one package it turned out to be the kernel built on
> Johnny's machines.

I still state my original question on IRC has yet to answered in IRC or
mailing list. I was looking for someone who has built a custom kernel
for x86_64 on CentOS. If that was not you or anyone else in
conversation. Everything that was discussed was irrelevant to the
question originally asked.

> its a no issue as far as i am concerned, this guy does not know about
> centos or how its setup, we can try and tell him - whatever info he
> takes away with him, is upto him.

I used to use solely RH up to the RH9 -> Fedora -> RHEL thing. What I am
not familiar with the the RHEL4 way of doing things, which is what
CentOS 4 is based on. IMHO they made something harder that used to be
rather quick and easy.

>  but if he is going to be a problem and
> troll, he is going to get the +q treatment, just as anyone else does.

It was only a problem for you. Continued name calling "troll" when I
have been nothing buy polite. Unfortunately was not treated that way in
return.

No one had to respond. Ignoring someone is more mature than booting them
from a IRC channel. Because you do not like what they are trying to do
etc.

At first I was happy to get a working solution off CentOS kernel
sources, how ever I got them. Was pleased with that, and thankfully to
the CentOS community.

However my brief exposure to the community, reveals one I would rather
avoid. Heck I would rather pay RH than be treated like this.

Really not that hard to ignore, and/or answer question asked, which has
yet to be. Or politely ask someone to stop, rather than without notice,
silence them or kick them?

And for the record, I have asked at least as many if not more CentOS
related kernel ?'s to gentoo channels and no flack. In fact I kept some
of them up to date with what was going on in the CentOS channel.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.