[CentOS-devel] Getting CentOS up to date on SPARC

Johnny Hughes

Mon Jun 26 11:37:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 07:28 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 10:09 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > David Hrbáč wrote:

> > > Well, are we going to use Mock? Last few weeks I've been playing with
> > > Mock on Centos, and it works pretty fine.
> >
> > no. We dont / cant use Mock or any such builder for the distro. I am
> > doing some docs + a sort of HOWTO for people to use the system that we
> > have in place. Will post it on the wiki and a URL here as soon as its done.
>
> Why can't mock be used?
>
> -sv

As you should well be aware :)

There are many hidden build requirements in the FC3 / RHEL4 package set.
So, a technology like mock will not (at lease easily) properly build all
packages for that group of packages.

The upstream team is working hard to address those issues and it should
not be the case with newer distros.  They will (supposedly) properly
call out all build requirements.

If all the packages properly called out all their "build requires", then
using a system like mock would work (that is, using a system that
creates a chroot containing a core set of packages and all the "build
requires" of the package to be built).

Currently, the CentOS build team uses a predefined build host to build
packages.  That build host is a controlled machine that has the latest
version of the arch in question and no other packages.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes