[CentOS-devel] Getting CentOS up to date on SPARC

Mon Jun 26 12:22:11 UTC 2006
Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com>

On Jun 26, 2006, at 8:19 AM, seth vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 08:08 -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>
>> To illustrate what I meant by "populating", let me point out the
>> technical detail
>> in FC6 that there are *still* missing dependencies like
>>      Requires: gcc, make
>>
>> These of course are no-brainers that are supplied by the choice of
>> the
>> packages that are always installed.
>>
>> So the issue is really that mock as currently used in FC6 has fewer
>> packages in base,
>> thereby exposing more missing build dependencies than are present in
>> FC3/RHEL4.
>>

> This is why I said "FUTURE RELEASES".

I heard you the first time.

> Fedora Core Development/6 is being built (ultimately) by mock. Which
> means the packaging requirements and the minimum buildroot has been
> taken care of.
>
> Fedora has spent the last few weeks tracking down missing buildreqs in
> packages in core so as to make the whole system buildable using mock.

mock with an "everything" rather than a "FC6 minimal" buildroot would
surely work today.

And the issue is what packages are implicitly in the base set, not
how many build dependencies are missing.

Still, a manifest to be installed on single-arch build systems is
dirt simple to maintain. For a RHEL
derived distro, the issue of updating to the latest available as soon
as possible simply doesn't matter
as much as it does for FC6 development.

73 de Jeff