[CentOS-devel] RPMS and REPOS and REPO-Linkages

Roger Peña Escobio orkcu at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 02:57:00 UTC 2006

--- seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 00:05 +0000, Karanbir Singh
> wrote:
> > When an rpm is built for CentOS-Extras or
> CentOS-Plus, is it safe to
> > assume that people using these repo's only use
> them for specific rpms (
> > eg, someone with a stock CentOS install might use
> the CentOS-Plus repo
> > for php-5 and only php-5 ) or are most people
> enabling the entire repo ?
> >
> > This question comes from the idea of when building
> a package, should a
> > rpm, hosted in CentOS-Plus link against only
> [base]+[updates] and only
> > use the minimum possible set of packages from
> [centosplus] ? So as to
> > have a situation wherein you can use selective
> packages from
> > CentOS-Plus, while not needing any support stuff
> from there ( eg.
> > postfix-mysql in CentOS-Plus should link against
> mysql-4.1 since thats
> > whats in [base] rather than mysql-5 which is in
> CentOS Plus )
> >
> > This does create a risk that we might end up
> creating packages that are
> > themselves incompatible with other packages from
> the same repository,
> > but work fine when used with the [base] packages
> for the same functionality.
> >
> > The other option is to have the entire CentOS-Plus
> repo enabled for any
> > packages built for the same repo, which might mean
> that using php-5 from
> >   CentOS-Plus needs MySQL-5 and pgsql-8 from
> CentOS Plus also installed.
> >

> I'd say centos-plus can rely on centos-plus in total
> and base+updates.

you might criticaly needs php5 but not mysql-5 or
pgsql-8, so you are willing to use php-5 from
centos-plus but not mysql-5 or pgsql-8 ....
but it can be in the other way also ....

so I guess is a matter of personal needs..
'I' try to be as close as rhel as posible, so, if 'I'
can, 'I' will try to just use exactly what I need and
nothing more, so, the approach that imply that I get
everything in centos-plus to be  linked to
base+updates is prefered for me.

just my 0.02

cu
roger

RedHat Certified Engineer ( RHCE )
Cisco Certified Network Associate ( CCNA )