[CentOS-devel] Re: New nx/freenx RPMS for CentOS-4 i386 in the Testing Repo

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Nov 23 21:49:25 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> There are new versions of nx and freenx for CentOS-4 i386 in the testing
> repo:
>
> freenx-0.5.0-11.c4.i386.rpm
> nx-2.1.0-2.c4.i386.rpm
>
> I am using this on 3 servers and it seems at least as stable as the
> previous versions.  These RPMS roll in the latest nx-2.1.x server
> components from nomachine.org (current CentOS-4 version has nx-1.5.x
> server components).
>
> The full screen patch was retained across versions and seems to work OK
> here as well.
>
> If you are using the CentOS version of NX / FreeNX, please test this
> version and provide feedback on this list.  Barring any show stopping
> negative feedback, these RPMS will replace the current versions in
> CentOS extras in 2 weeks.
>
> Testing repository .repo file:
> http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/CentOS-Testing.repo
>
> Packages can be download manually here:
> http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/testing/i386/RPMS/
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

I have been using the 32bit CentOS-provided freenx / nx successfully on
x86_64 systems. I believe they require
nxsetup --purge --uninstall
nxsetup
after the initial install, but then they work just fine.
Now I'd like to update them to the testing ones, using yum. How can I do
this - the .repo file in your posting does not work - my $basearch is
wrong !? I think yum should have an option to override $basearch, or the
i386 packages should somehow be visible in the x86_64 repo.

Clearly I can download the .rpms and run yum or rpm directly, but there
ought to be a more elegant way ...

Kay