[CentOS-devel] Re: New nx/freenx RPMS for CentOS-4 i386 in the Testing Repo

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Nov 24 15:35:55 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 22:49 +0100, Kay Diederichs wrote:
>> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> There are new versions of nx and freenx for CentOS-4 i386 in the testing
>>> repo:
>>>
>>> freenx-0.5.0-11.c4.i386.rpm
>>> nx-2.1.0-2.c4.i386.rpm
>>>
>>> I am using this on 3 servers and it seems at least as stable as the
>>> previous versions.  These RPMS roll in the latest nx-2.1.x server
>>> components from nomachine.org (current CentOS-4 version has nx-1.5.x
>>> server components).
>>>
>>> The full screen patch was retained across versions and seems to work OK
>>> here as well.
>>>
>>> If you are using the CentOS version of NX / FreeNX, please test this
>>> version and provide feedback on this list.  Barring any show stopping
>>> negative feedback, these RPMS will replace the current versions in
>>> CentOS extras in 2 weeks.
>>>
>>> Testing repository .repo file:
>>> http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/CentOS-Testing.repo
>>>
>>> Packages can be download manually here:
>>> http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/testing/i386/RPMS/
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Johnny Hughes

>> I have been using the 32bit CentOS-provided freenx / nx successfully on
>> x86_64 systems. I believe they require
>> nxsetup --purge --uninstall
>> nxsetup
>> after the initial install, but then they work just fine.
>> Now I'd like to update them to the testing ones, using yum. How can I do
>> this - the .repo file in your posting does not work - my $basearch is
>> wrong !? I think yum should have an option to override $basearch, or the
>> i386 packages should somehow be visible in the x86_64 repo.
>>
>> Clearly I can download the .rpms and run yum or rpm directly, but there
>> ought to be a more elegant way ...
>>
>> Kay
>
> Kay,
>
> They are both .i386 packages and I could put them in the x86_64 repo ...
> but I haven't checked that all the dependancies are meet in the other
> parts of the x86_64 repo.
>
> I will test that now and see if that is the case.
>
> The source from No Machine will not compile on x86_64, or we would have
> an x86_64 version.  Since the source did not work for x86_64, I was
> concentrating on making that work and I didn't think to try to make the
> i386 version work on x86_64 :)
>
> For the purposes of testing, could you please manually download them and
> install ... and if everything i386 required to support NX/FREENX is in
> the base x86_64 repo already, then when we move these into production, I
> can also put it into the x86_64 repo too.
>
> I am going to start looking at that aspect of it right now.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

Johnny,

manual installation of the i386 packages (freenx used to be a .noarch
package which seems more appropriate, why did that change?) on x86_64
worked well.
A few moments ago, "yum update" to today's versions (now that they are
in the x86_64 directory) also worked well.

One thing that does not function as it used to is color management: the
new nxserver produces the wrong colors in the client's window for some
apps (I use xosview - all the colours in the bars are the same). This
was no problem with the old version of nxserver.

best,
Kay