[CentOS-devel] Re: New nx/freenx RPMS for CentOS-4 i386 in the Testing Repo

Johnny Hughes

Fri Nov 24 11:23:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 22:49 +0100, Kay Diederichs wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > There are new versions of nx and freenx for CentOS-4 i386 in the testing
> > repo:
> >
> > freenx-0.5.0-11.c4.i386.rpm
> > nx-2.1.0-2.c4.i386.rpm
> >
> > I am using this on 3 servers and it seems at least as stable as the
> > previous versions.  These RPMS roll in the latest nx-2.1.x server
> > components from nomachine.org (current CentOS-4 version has nx-1.5.x
> > server components).
> >
> > The full screen patch was retained across versions and seems to work OK
> > here as well.
> >
> > If you are using the CentOS version of NX / FreeNX, please test this
> > version and provide feedback on this list.  Barring any show stopping
> > negative feedback, these RPMS will replace the current versions in
> > CentOS extras in 2 weeks.
> >
> > Testing repository .repo file:
> > http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/CentOS-Testing.repo
> >
> > Packages can be download manually here:
> > http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/testing/i386/RPMS/
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Johnny Hughes

> I have been using the 32bit CentOS-provided freenx / nx successfully on
> x86_64 systems. I believe they require
> nxsetup --purge --uninstall
> nxsetup
> after the initial install, but then they work just fine.
> Now I'd like to update them to the testing ones, using yum. How can I do
> this - the .repo file in your posting does not work - my $basearch is
> wrong !? I think yum should have an option to override $basearch, or the
> i386 packages should somehow be visible in the x86_64 repo.
>
> Clearly I can download the .rpms and run yum or rpm directly, but there
> ought to be a more elegant way ...
>
> Kay

Kay,

They are both .i386 packages and I could put them in the x86_64 repo ...
but I haven't checked that all the dependancies are meet in the other
parts of the x86_64 repo.

I will test that now and see if that is the case.

The source from No Machine will not compile on x86_64, or we would have
an x86_64 version.  Since the source did not work for x86_64, I was
concentrating on making that work and I didn't think to try to make the
i386 version work on x86_64 :)

For the purposes of testing, could you please manually download them and
install ... and if everything i386 required to support NX/FREENX is in
the base x86_64 repo already, then when we move these into production, I
can also put it into the x86_64 repo too.

I am going to start looking at that aspect of it right now.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes