[CentOS-devel] RPMS and REPOS and REPO-Linkages

Mon Nov 20 20:26:16 UTC 2006
Kevan Benson <kbenson at a-1networks.com>

On Monday 20 November 2006 12:09, Jim Perrin wrote:
> > In the example I used above, you could mix and match easily, choosing
> > php, php-mysql5, and php-pgsql (for core linked pgsql) just by choosing
> > those packages.  That's not too hard.  I assumed since this is the devel
> > list, and since this thread was referring to php, that particular package
> > layout would be understood.  Not every package links in this manner
> > though, so yes, it could get confusing for packages that don't (although
> > the more distinct libraries a package links to, the more likely it is to
> > compartmentalize them).
>
> To nit-pick your example:
> This isn't hard on the user side. On the builder side however, this
> requires amazing amounts of work, including multiple builds per arch
> based on linking package-sets, and multiple copies of repositories to
> build against. There is not really a nice way to automate a build of
> this style and the reward is not worth the effort. Even for php, which
> does separate out and would be 'simple' it is still a very complex
> process on the back end.

Yeah, I agreed that it could get confusing.  Any way you look at it providing
a package that links towards base and another similar package linked against
another repo containg newer libs is going to be hard.  I included that in the
reply for clarification and in the original post because that's what this
thread is about, even though the post wasn't so concerned with that
particular.

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks