[CentOS-devel] RPMS and REPOS and REPO-Linkages

Fri Nov 17 11:13:17 UTC 2006
Lance Davis <lance at uklinux.net>

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Jim Perrin wrote:

>> I agree with Johnny here. It's very convenient to be able to pull in a
>> newer version of a single package and have it work on top of an existing
>> stable system. No need to debug MySQL 5 because I wanted PHP 5.

I can see the need for possibly 2 different repositroies here to provide
diferent strokes for different folks :-

maybe

centosplus-base linked against base - usable for people who only want to
include particular packages and want them linked against base + updates.

centosplus - where packages are linked against other packages in
centosplus - usable by people who want all the latest & greatest.

(or centosplus and centosplus-ng - that is up for discussion )

Once we have the new builder in place it shouldnt be too much effort to
provide both.

The same discussion presumably is also merited for what centos-extras are
linked against ???

Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.