[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.4 yumconf

C.M. Connelly cmc at math.hmc.edu
Tue Oct 10 21:08:52 UTC 2006

"KS" == Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>

    KS> Just to do a recap to make sure we all understand the
    KS> position here.

    KS> There are 4 sorts of user cases, been addressed so far.

   [...]

    KS> did i miss someone ?

Yes.

   5. People who have replaced the centos-yumconf package (not
      just files in that package) with their own yumconf package
      that does not provide repository configuration files with
      the same names as the (old) centos-yumconf and the (current)
      centos-release package; i.e., CentOS-Base.repo.

For those folks, the 4.4 redhat-release package plunks down a
CentOS-Base.repo file.  As my repo file is called
HMC-Math-Base.repo, yum ignores my file and uses the new
CentOS-Base.repo file instead for repository sections defined in
both files.

Adding ``enabled=0'' lines to the repository section in the
CentOS-Base.repo file causes yum to complain about multiply
defined repositories.

Being able to replace the centos-yumconf package was a fairly
low-key intervention that allowed me to maintain a pristine mirror
of the upstream CentOS tree and do a basic install from that tree
using a kickstart file, then, in a setup script run on first
reboot, replace the centos-yumconf with my own, do updates,
install local packages, and so forth.

I'm not eager to have to rebuild the centos-release package for
each update, so maybe the answer is to make my yumconf package
supply CentOS-Base.repo and install it with the --force flag, but
I preferred having a different name so that it would be obvious
that we were using a local mirror.

From my perspective, having the separate centos-yumconf preserves
this behavior while remaining transparent to users who don't need
to override repositories.

   Claire

  Claire Connelly                              cmc at math.hmc.edu
  Systems Administrator                          (909) 621-8754
  Department of Mathematics                 Harvey Mudd College