[CentOS-devel] testing / qa process

Fri Oct 13 14:41:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 10:01 -0400, danieldk at pobox.com wrote:
> Hi Karanbir,
>
> > The CentOS Project provides packages in addition to the packages from
> > RH's sources. We need to ensure that these packages are tested in a user
> > environment for a while, and only released to the public via the
> > mirror.centos.org network once there is some reasonable surety as to the
> > functional and bugs situation with the package.
>
> I have a question if I may: what should the packages be tested for?
>
> 1. Readiness of the packaged software for enterprise environments.
> 2. Quality of the packaging.
>
> If both, what has most weight? If [1] is important, I suppose the quality
> can partly be tested with regression tests (if the software includes
> regression tests, IMO all enterprise-class software should). [2]
> specifically requires people with enough knowledge of packaging to go over
> it.

Daniel,

The stuff in the testing repo has already been initially tested (and
packaged) by one of the CentOS Developers.  It doesn't get in there if
it is not at least WorksForMe quality for someone who should understand
enterprise ready.

Now I not suggesting that it is perfect, thus the need for testing.

What we need is people to use the products, make sure they work as
expected, and tell us it does or does not work for them.

We certainly are also open for suggestions and/or packaging comments and
better ways to do things.

I would settle for  ...  I downloaded it and it works for me or doesn't
work for me because of this.  If we can get at least that much
participation, we can fix it and get it back out, if required.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes