[CentOS-devel] is oracle unbreakable linux based on centos and not rhel

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Thu Oct 26 16:42:08 UTC 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 09:04, Connie Sieh wrote:
> Based on the following list it seems that Oracle's new Unbreakable Linux
> is really based on Centos and not rhel.   Any comment on this?
>
> http://oss.oracle.com/linux/legal/oracle-list.htnl
>
> Look at the "artwork" rpm.

Hmm, Oracle is offering a support network for this product, and according to
Their FAQ (http://www.oracle.com/technologies/linux/ubl-faq.pdf), they will
even credit you any RHN support time you had left towards your new support
contract with them if you migrate to their support system (ULN).

So, to summarize, Oracle is Redhat SRPMs (or CentOS SRPMs which is *almost*
the same thing), building a distro out of them, and offering support
contracts.

I assume the CentOS developers have a pretty good line on Redhat's feeling on
their own project, so they may be a bit more qualified to comment on what
Redhat might think about this product, which is essentially equivalent to
CentOS + support.  If Redhat takes to this badly, might there be fallout that
affects CentOS as a whole (such as certain SRPMs no longer being published at
Redhat for free use)?

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks