[CentOS-devel] is oracle unbreakable linux based on centos and not rhel

Thu Oct 26 17:20:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 11:32 -0500, Connie Sieh wrote:
> I really do not know if it is based on CentOS or not.  I just see the
> CentOS name in the rpm list.
>
> I am downloading the release now.  Very very very slow download so have
> not been able to look at it yet.
>
> -Connie Sieh
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

Sometime back, CentOS had discussions with Goldman Sachs and Oracle
concerning how we build CentOS.  Nothing major, just how we do the
rebuilds, etc.

Obviously, everything CentOS does is redistributable ... so we are OK
with Oracle (or anyone else) using our SRPMS to build their RPMS as long
as they follow the redistribution requirements.

It would be nice for them to acknowledge that they are using our SRPMS
and that we are a GREAT rebuild.  Donations to the CentOS project would
also be accepted :)

> > > http://oss.oracle.com/linux/legal/oracle-list.html
> > >
> > > it is .html, small typo ;-)
> > >
> > > as for the rest: explicit.....
> >
> > The hell with oracle. The least they could do is acknowledge CentOS.
> > But I suppose that would be expecting too much of them.

I am not holding my breath, though it would be nice.

> > - --
> > Rodrigo Barbosa

Looks like the are behind on updates already (since seamonkey has
replaced mozilla in EL4 and mozilla is in their distro).

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes