[CentOS-devel] Re: Metalinks for CentOS (all mirrors & checksums in one file)

Anthony L. Bryan

albryan at comcast.net
Tue Oct 17 18:57:29 UTC 2006

> We spoke about this earlier, and I also asked for comments - we didnt
> get too many here on this list. But, it would still be a good idea to
> get this somehow integrated into the CentOS release process.
>
> Making it easier and adding more options to spread loads is always a
> good idea IMHO.

Yes, some comments would be encouraging but I guess this isn't all that
interesting. Anything I can do to make metalink more useful to you, let me
know.

I agree, spreading load & making things easier is good. I definitely think
metalink could simplify your ISO download page as well.

How about an alternate page for ISO downloads to test metalink out? Have a
link for feedback on what people think. If it's positive, make it more
prominent. I think once you start using it, you'll prefer it, like the
groups using it now.

Metalink tools (http://prog.infosnel.nl/metalinks/) generates them easily.
It either creates all the hashes for files, or can read an md5sum file and
generate them from a list of mirrors. I have a text list of your mirrors but
it might not be fully up to date. I used it to make the ones at
http://www.metalinker.org/samples.html#isos for the live CD, install CDs, &
DVD for i386.

(( Anthony Bryan
 )) Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]