[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.4 yumconf

Fri Oct 13 07:33:38 UTC 2006

Claire,

C.M. Connelly wrote:
> Like, I suspect, most people using CentOS, I'm not paid to work on
> the OS,

Let me surprise you by saying that noone is paid to work on CentOS, its
a complete volunteer only setup. hell, it even costs me major $funds and
lots-a-time, to be involved with the CentOS Project, as I suspect is the
case with every one of the developers.

We'd like to grow from here, into an organisation that can throw some
finances behind some of the work, as well as further expand on the work
we are doing. And your continued donations help to that aim.

> and I don't have time to hang out on IRC on the off chance
> that someone will bring up something that might completely screw
> up my systems down the road.

Well, in this case - had things been done properly on your machine,
nothing would have broken. We've been over this a few times now.

> To be frank, saying, ``Oh, we talked about that on IRC,'' is about
> as useful as saying, ``Jennie, Bob, and I talked about it over a
> drink at the Boo Bar.''

For matters that only Jennie, Bob and I need to talk about, that is
indeed a good way to get this done. Just talk about them :)

> IRC is a great place to work out implementation details and maybe
> even do some thought experiments to imagine what the impact might
> be, but mailing lists are a much better place to have real
> discussions, especially when your changes might impact people
> outside the tiny circle of people who frequent the IRC channel.

its not just a tiny circle, we *require* all developers to be on IRC.

- K

PS: why does your MUA break threads ?