[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.4 yumconf

John Newbigin jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au
Wed Sep 6 01:28:53 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>if the files are (config) type, then a locally user modified version
>>will superseed the new rpm based one, and will result in your config's
>>being left alone with the new files being dropped as .rpmnew
>>
>>I'd presume this is what happened ?
The problem is an rpm issue where if you delete a config file, it will
'come back' when an update is installed.

> The purpose of this change is so that we mirror what is done by
> upstream.
>
> They provide their update sources in redhat-release file.
>
> A separate RPM for yumconf (and up2date-conf) is redundant.
>
> Have it be part of yum or up2date is bad ...
>
> I have no problem with a sperate yumconf package, but it is not in
> keeping with upstream.
Does the upstream contain the yum confg files?  If not then I don't
think CentOS should be adding the files there.  I don't use up2date so I
can't comment on that.

In the past CentOS (yum) has required a yumconf, which is still the case.

The finger could also be pointed at yum.  Perhaps I need to change my
reposdir config.

John.