[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.4 yumconf

Michael Paesold mpaesold at gmx.at
Wed Sep 6 07:03:47 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> The purpose of this change is so that we mirror what is done by
> upstream.
>
> They provide their update sources in redhat-release file.
>
> A separate RPM for yumconf (and up2date-conf) is redundant.
>
> Have it be part of yum or up2date is bad ...
>
> I have no problem with a sperate yumconf package, but it is not in
> keeping with upstream.
>
> If you produce a package with a new CentOS-Base.repo (and force install
> it) that overwrites the other file, then when new updates happen it will
> produce rpmnew files and should not affect you at all.
>
> As I said ... i can be easily convinced to to shift back, but shouldn't
> we try to do things like upstream?

I also think the old way was better. We have our own "centos-yumconf-local"
package, which does an "Obsoletes: centos-yumconf", so as soon as we added
our local repo to a new system (containing this package), it would
automatically update to our own yum configuration.

Now that does not work anymore, and I would have to replace centos-release
to get the same effect. I will have to rebuild this centos-release package
for every CentOS release. It's no big deal, because I also have to rebuild
other packages for each major release (e.g. glibc for Xen), but I still
wanted to say that I preferred the old way.

Perhaps building the centos-yumconf rpm from the centos-release src rpm,
like Gordon suggested, is a good plan?

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold