[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.4 yumconf

Jim Perrin

jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 23:58:37 UTC 2006

> I still need the real files from centos-release (such as
> /etc/redhat-release) which may change from time to time (when 4.5 comes
> out).  I could create my own replacement but I think that the files
> belong in the yumconf package and this may well be a centos bug.

This also causes a related issue for RHEL users who want to use yum.
In posts to the yum mailing list, it's often recommended that RHEL
users grab yum from the centos repositories. As of the 4.4 release,
they can no longer do this as yum requires yumconf, provided by
centos-release, which will overwrite their /etc/redhat-release, and
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources files among others. This either keeps them
from using our yum packages, or forces them to migrate to centos which
they may not be aware of if they install centos-release without
thinking it through.

I see this as an interoperability issue, and it should be discussed a
bit. I'm not convinced that  a yumconf package is the way to go, but
providing the files in centos-release doesn't seem to be the right way
either. Other opinions?

George Orwell