[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.4 yumconf

John Summerfield

debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Sep 8 01:23:13 UTC 2006

Karanbir Singh wrote:

>>> pretty sure red hat doesn't support upgrades between major release
>>> versions.
>>

>> I'm next to certain it does. It supported upgrades from whenever
>> Anaconda appeard (5.x or so I think) right up to RHL 9 - even skipping
>> releases, and upgrades to newer Fedora Core work. I don't see why
>> upgrading RHEL 2.1 to 3 or 4 would not work.
>

> I believe the first point in the El4 release notes was that upgrades are
> not supported, but i might be wrong. you should check.
>
> it might be point number 2

  You may use Anaconda to perform a fresh installation of Red Hat
    Enterprise Linux 4.91 or to perform an upgrade from the latest
    updated version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 to Red Hat Enterprise
    Linux 4.91.

As I expected, upgrade is supported. Ill-advised tampering with the
contents of the release file will cause problems, and if we encourage
folk to create their own release packages, they will and some will
change the contents of the releases file.

I think reverting to yumconf is preferable; we're based off RHEL, so
Fedora isn't especially relevant, and we're not supporting RHN so the
RHN configuration files are irrelevant to us.

If we ship a modified up2date that shares yum configuration, that's
fine, our users don't want to talk to RHN anyway.

OTOH RHEL users do want to use CentOS stuff sumetimes, and a yumconf
package makes that easy.

--

Cheers
John