[CentOS-devel] 5 for ppc

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Apr 5 01:33:57 UTC 2007

hi,

Zenon Panoussis wrote:
> First post here, so hi everyone.
>
> Mostly by accident I started compiling PNAEL-5 for ppc, first on a Mac G4
> and then, when I run into the multilib requirements, also on a G5.

excellent!

> The ppc
> variant is going well, ppc64 is a huge pile of headaches. So I figured,
> better ask around first:
>
> - Is anyone else working on what could be CentOS-5.ppc? Am I duplicating
>   effort or could this be useful?

yes, I am and have most of the tree done. Once we have i386/x86_64
released then I'll get some more time to work on this. Feel free to
carry on, and we can share notes.

> - CentOS-4 has no ppc binaries. Is it due to lack of hardware and/or time
>   or is it a technical or political decision? In other words, if I manage
>   to complete CentOS-5.ppc, would the core team be interested in adding it
>   to the binary distribution?

we are going to do a ppc release, adn are already working on it.

> - Are the Centified PNAEL-5 SRPMS available somewhere, so I can avoid
>   building trademarked packages that I would later have to rebuild again?

you need to wait for centos-5/i386 to be released for that, then use the
src.rpms published under there.

> - Is CentOS-5 being built with --define "dist .el5" and --define "rhel 5"
>   or with some non-PNAEL designation?

we are using define centos 5

> If you have tried this and run into unbuildable ppc64 packages, I'd love to
> hear whether/how you got around the problem with e.g. binutils and elfutils.

I can push binutils and elfutils if you need, alternatively - I am happy
to even push packages are they build for both ppc and ppc64. However, am
going to be very busy till after this weekend, so I hope you can hold
out till then :)

- KB