[CentOS-devel] Re: [CentOS] Re: Jigdoes of CentOS 4.4 and 5.0 i386/x86_64 CD/DVD available.

Maciej Żenczykowski zenczykowski at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 10:34:50 UTC 2007

> But --- does jigdo have any kind of indirection in place , eg to get a
> list of mirrors and use them ??

It does use a list of mirros for the debian.  I haven't really looked
into it too deeply.
Furthermore the jigdo-lite program is really just a shell script -
should be easy to get it to behave however we want it (it just runs
wget).

> Or could yum be used as a wrapper around jigdo maybe to pull stuff down
> using fastestmirror or maybe even dags stuff ??

I would really like to see dynamic DNS resolution based on source IP
giving out the address of the nearest centos compatible mirror - then
it would 'just work'.

> Otherwise it gets messy because mirrors have different file structures, so
> just using CNAME's wont work.

And that's the problem... But we could possibly work with them to get
this working - at least for http this is relatively trivial (just
setup a virtual domain for whatever global name we would decide on
like mirror.centos.org).

> The trouble I see is that if a user doesnt have a local mirror or
> local copy of a set if isos then downloading the packages individually
> from a mirror may be less efficient than downloading an iso / set of isos,
> and certainly without mirror redirect and fastestmirror it is a non starter ...

There aren't that many files on a cd, so the extra time spent opening
closing connections shouldn't really be significant - unless you have
an extremely big pipe.  But - yes - we would want each user to use the
closest possible mirror.

> The fedora guys have beern working on stuff that we also ought to look at
> , and we should look at metalinks while we are at it.

No idea what this is... :-)

Cheers,
Maciej.