[CentOS-devel] anaconda dependency calculation?

Charlie Brady

charlieb-centos-devel at budge.apana.org.au
Fri Apr 13 00:04:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Nicholas Byrne wrote:

> Thanks for the info, i'll keep eye on that list to see what you discover.

For those on this list, I found an upgrade to yum 3.1.6 and yum-utils
1.1.2 and a few bug fixes did the trick.

> However i came across the redhat buildsys list
> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-buildsys-list/)  which i didn't know
> about until recently and then discovered Pungi on it
> (https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/pungi) for Fedora which looks very
> promising.

I looked at pungi, but found that 1) it needs absolutely bleeding edge yum
to run and 2) I'm totally appalled the you still need to run it as root,
because it runs the old anaconda-runtime stuff.

> I'm going to have a go at getting it to work for CentOS 5 at some point, as
> really there shouldn't be too much in the way of differences and it purports
> to do full dependency resolution.

I'd recommend that you stick to yumdownloader. I'd also suggest that you
customise anaconda (if required) simply by providing an images/updates.img
file, built with mksquashfs. No need for the arcanery of RedHat's stuff.

>> >  So i'm guessing anaconda calculates dependencies in a slightly different
>> >  way, can anyone point me to files/code where i should be looking to find
>> >  out?

One thing to bear in mind is that there are a few places where anaconda
will add packages to your transaction set based on configuration choices
you have made. I doubt that would explain the magnitude of difference you
saw.

---
Charlie