[CentOS-devel] Re: 4.4 -> 5.0 upgrade (considerations)

Scott Silva

ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Apr 17 21:42:47 UTC 2007

Rodrigo Barbosa spake the following on 4/17/2007 12:31 PM:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 12:16:50PM -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
>> Rodrigo Barbosa spake the following on 4/17/2007 12:00 PM:

>>> Nah, mostly remote systems, hosted on datacenters or somewhere else.
>>>
>>> So far, the main problem I've encontered is really xorg. Go figure.
>> You can do remote anaconda installs using vnc. I have done it once or twice.
>> Now if you could do remote ssh based text installs, that would really rock!
>
> Humm, that really doesn't cover my needs, since it would need direct
> interaction with the hardware (or something nasty to give you an anaconda
> boot).
>
> []s

Not really. You can scp the pxe kernels onto the machine and add a boot stanza
 into grub to run them with all the necessary commands and addresses on the
command line. You just need a way to make sure you fix the grub boot back to
the new kernel after the install. I just found this howto to make a remote
install Cd, but with a little adjusting, you could get this working totally
remote, with a http install from anywhere in the world.
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2006-September/000015.html

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and