[CentOS-devel] Question re RPM Package Naming

Les Bell

lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Wed Apr 18 01:51:29 UTC 2007

When building RPM's for CentOS, should I include ".el5.centos" in the
Release field? I recently built (you might remember) pdftk-1.12-1.i386.rpm
and have made it available for testing and inclusion in the Centos repos.
However, when trying to find RPM's, I find it helpful if the package
filename includes the distro and distro version number. I can easily
produce "pdftk-1.12-1.el5.centos.i386.rpm" and other related files, but is
this kosher? Or is the ".el5.centos" designation reserved for official
releases, post-QA?

Just trying to do the right thing here. . .

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144