[CentOS-devel] Jigdoes of CentOS 4.4 and 5.0 i386/x86_64 CD/DVD available.

John Summerfield

debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Apr 19 12:41:57 UTC 2007

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:
>>> More testing from me in the next few days, I have to go through the
>>> documentation first and that needs a little time.
>> What we need to figure out is a better way to specify the source
>> mirror, possibly hack around in the jigdo-lite script.
>
> That should be fairly easy - just do this as an option to jigdo-lite: If
> there is an --mirror http://mirror.example.com/linux/centos, then use
> that, if not then use the ones from the mirrors variable in the
> jigdo-lite script. Which will only work if CentOS distributes jigdo, we
> cannot force Dries to hardwire CentOS requirements into the rpmforge
> package.

jigdo needs more than one mirror; I could have 4.3 here in a local
mirror and wish to use that first, then another the other side of my
modem, and maybe another - perhaps one's broken.

Repeating --mirror is probably simplest, the script could tuck the names
away in an array.

?? How does Debian do this? Obviously doesn't use apt-get config files,
I've run it on CentOS 4.

<looks at a config file>
[summer at bilby ~]$ ssh cdm cat /home/summer/.jigdo-lite
jigdo=''
debianMirror='http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian/'
nonusMirror='http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian-non-US/'
tmpDir='.'
jigdoOpts='--cache jigdo-file-cache.db'
wgetOpts=' --continue --timeout=300'
scanMenu='//misc/I1'

Oh, it doesn't really. Making those *Mirror lines into an array should
work well, for us and for Debian.

>> It might also make sense to see if we can improve (parallelize)
>> jigdo-lite download performance to make it work better on bigger pipes
>> (and possibly not require quite so much temporary space).
>
> One step after the other?

There's no reason jigdo can't download more than the default, and I have
it doing that.

Years ago, I had some patches to wget 1.5.3 (just for ftp) that allowed
it to run user-specified programs/scripts at various points:
1. Just before fetching a file
2. Just after fetching a file.
3. I forget

I used the first to test whether I had internet connectivity, and waited
until I had.
The second could be used to signal something that "here is a file to
poke into the iso" in the particular case of jigdo.

I'm generally not keen on running concurrent downloads from a remote
site. I figure if the sender's faster than me, I should already be
running close to capacity. If I'm faster than the sender, it would be
pretty unfriendly to further swamp him.

ftp sites generally limit the number of connexions, and some (rsync at
least) sites around threaten to block your IP for 24 hours if you run
more than two connexions. I don't wish to find out whether they're serious.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait