[CentOS-devel] reposync for CentOS 4

Johnny Hughes

Sun Apr 29 18:28:15 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 18:11 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> > We had a need for this app on CentOS-4 ... we want it to do what it
> > already does in the newer versions.  I would have thought that the guys
> > who wrote it would have already done it for the CentOS-4 version of
> > python if they were interested in providing it there too :D
> >
> > Are you interested in backport type things like this to yum-utils and
> > other aps (for older versions)?
> >
> > If yes, we are certainly glad to provide that info.
>
> Johnny, why not include CentOS 3 as well ?
>
> python 1.5 is definitely too old, but python 2.2 must be within reach.

WRT to our current need, the person who is going to maintain cobbler for
CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 asked for this utility (reposync) in yum-utils for
CentOS-4 so that the app can work the same in both versions.

I don't think we are going to provide cobbler for CentOS-3 ... though we
are working on a yum-2.4.x for the CentOS-3 centosplus repo.

We are working out the last remaining technical issue with yum-2.4 on
CentOS-3 (that we have found thus far), which is that yum-2.0 (and
up2date in C3) sets newly installed kernels to be the default.  In EL4,
that is handled by the OS script "/sbin/new-kernel-pkg" (provided by
mkinitrd), however in EL3 that functionality was done instead by
up2date / yum.  We won't modify how mkinitrd works on CentOS-3 (that is
a very important core package and we don't change that kind of
functionality from upstream), thus the only ohter option is to modify
yum to do it.

For anyone concerned about upgrading their yum in CentOS-3 ... this will
be a CentOSPlus only, and thus totally optional, update. You will have
to purposely enable the CentOSPlus repo and upgrade to get it (once we
get it completed).

yum-2.4 will offer significant benefits to CentOS-3 over the current
yum-2.0 solution (fastestmirror / priorities / protectbase plugins,
working mirrorlists, repomd support, etc.).  It will require that the
repos in question do generate the newer repomd repodata files for their
EL3 repositories (CentOS and RPMForge already do).

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes