[CentOS-devel] Question re RPM Package Naming

Wed Apr 18 03:36:59 UTC 2007
Les Bell <lesbell at lesbell.com.au>

Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob at darkover.org> wrote:

My suggestion would be .el5.lesbell.XXX.rpm, at it will both identify
the distro and the source of the package.
<<

Oh, I couldn't do that - modesty forbids, etc. Anyone who needs to know who
to blame will know to use "rpm -qi" to track the packager down. In any
case, that leaves an ambiguity; is the package for the OUP's el5, or CentOS
el5? I suspect there's also a complication with whose GPG key is used to
sign the distributed package, too.

For my own part, I'd prefer the ".el5.centos.xxx.rpm" designation, but I'd
like to know the canonically correct way to do this.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144