[CentOS-devel] Re: Using CentOS trademarks/artwork etc.

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Aug 3 17:49:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 11:40:49AM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 8/3/07, Daniel de Kok <danieldk at pobox.com> wrote:

> > > Gets my vote.
> >
> > If Axel is interested, I agree that it would be nice to look if that can
> > be worked out.
> >

> Well I think Axel's question though does cover some other issues though.
>
> What are the CentOS trademark guidelines? Currently there do not seem
> to be any listed on the website. There do not seem to be any in the
> included product, and there does not seem to be a registered
> trademark. I know this gets into the murky area of law, ip etc.. but
> it does come up and people's assumptions that they can use it for
> anything they want because it is not OBVIOUSLY registered, protected,
> or guidelined..

I think CentOS should register the trademark in the countries this is
most important (US + EU?) and offer a review dependent usage: If a
derived product/project like mythcentos or maybe centosfirewall,
etc. wants to make use of trademarks/artwork it should offer the final
product for a check by centos-devel and get the blessing. I wouldn't
suggest any blanket approvals though, CentOS should always have the
final say to check whether this step would potentially harm the brand
instead of strengthening it.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net