[CentOS-devel] Re: Using CentOS trademarks/artwork etc.

Scott Silva

ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Aug 3 18:32:56 UTC 2007

Daniel de Kok spake the following on 8/3/2007 11:21 AM:
> On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 19:49 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
>> I think CentOS should register the trademark in the countries this is
>> most important (US + EU?) and offer a review dependent usage: If a
>> derived product/project like mythcentos or maybe centosfirewall,
>> etc. wants to make use of trademarks/artwork it should offer the final
>> product for a check by centos-devel and get the blessing. I wouldn't
>> suggest any blanket approvals though, CentOS should always have the
>> final say to check whether this step would potentially harm the brand
>> instead of strengthening it.
>
> Registered or not, as far as I understand the most important thing is to
> protect your trademark. This means actively acting against others in the
> same field of endeavor who use the name "CentOS".
>
> -- Daniel
I agree. Although it is not my decision, I think the "polite" thing to do
would be to leave the CentOS trademarks out, but give adequate and glowing
credit to the CentOS developers that made the OS possible. Just like the
CentOS developers do to upstream whenever they can.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and