[CentOS-devel] Re: Using CentOS trademarks/artwork etc.

Tue Aug 7 15:21:00 UTC 2007
Gerhart, Bjoern <bjoern.gerhart at wincor-nixdorf.com>

> Although it is not my decision, I think the "polite"
> thing to do
> would be to leave the CentOS trademarks out, but give
> adequate and glowing
> credit to the CentOS developers that made the OS possible.

Hi,

I work at Wincor Nixdorf, and we want to provide a distribution derived
from CentOS as commercial product. Within the distribution we provide
software for installing, configuring and operating our "Beetle" POS
systems with regard to our customers' needs. The name of the
distribution is "WNLPOS", which means "Wincor Nixdorf Linux for Point of
Service".

Our actual version of WNLPOS is based on Fedora Core 4. There we
eliminated "Fedora" out of menues and artwork, and we created an own
artwork just with "WNLPOS" as name.

The question now is if we may mention CentOS in the derived distribution
at all. This concerns for example the name of the grub menu entries, and
the splash screens and wallpapers of Gnome and KDE. Are we allowed to
write "WNLPOS - based on CentOS"? May we use the original logos
(artwork), or is it allowed to modifiy them?

bjoern.gerhart at wincor-nixdorf.com