[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5 Live CD

Wed Aug 22 01:38:16 UTC 2007
Patrice Guay <patrice.guay at nanotechnologies.qc.ca>

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Patrice Guay wrote:
>> I am currently building a Live CD for CentOS 5. I am using the
>> livecd-creator script from the livecd-tools project [1].
>>
>> Here is my setup:
>> - A workstation with CentOS 5 i386
>> - dosfstools 2.11-8 [2]
>> - livecd-tools 009-11 [2]
>> - pykickstart 1.0-1 [2]
>>
>> To create a live CD, you need a kickstart configuration file[3].
>>
>> You also need to increase the maximum number of open files:
>> # ulimit -n 65535
>>
>> Then, you can start the creation process (~30 minutes):
>> # livecd-creator --config=centos-livecd-desktop.ks
>>
>> The resulting iso image (644MB) can be transfered to an USB key...
>> # livecd-iso-to-disk <isopath> <usbstick device>
>>
>> ... or simply burned to a CD or DVD.
>>
>> The live CD has a writable /usr directory. However, it can not be used
>> to install CentOS 5 on your system. A new anaconda package will be
>> required to achieve this functionality.
>>
>> [1] http://git.fedoraproject.org/?p=hosted/livecd
>> [2] These packages are available at
>> http://www.nanotechnologies.qc.ca/propos/linux/centos-live/i386/live
>> [3]
>> http://www.nanotechnologies.qc.ca/propos/linux/centos-live/i386/live/centos-livecd-desktop.ks
>>

>> --
>> Patrice Guay
> Thanks. I was working on this too ... but since you have finished this
> part, I will concentrate on anaconda to try and get this installable.
>
> Thank you for your hard work on the Live CD.
>
> Johnny Hughes
I completed a first version of a Live CD from which one could install
CentOS 5. The installation process uses anaconda in graphical mode. I had
to repackage several srpms from Fedora 7 to achieve this - anaconda being
the hardest since it contains a lot of branding.

As always, those packages are available at:
http://www.nanotechnologies.qc.ca/propos/linux/centos-live/i386/live

The receipe given above will yield a Live CD including an installer.

I would be pleased if the CentOS QA team could review my work.
--
Patrice Guay