[CentOS-devel] How to split a DVD to CDs?

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Fri Dec 28 11:31:31 UTC 2007

jacky wrote:
> --- John Summerfield
> <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>wrote:
>
>> Johnny Hughes wrote:

>> RHEL
>>> There is no easy way to split into CDs from the
>> DVD.
>>> You can use the program buildinstall (part of
>> anaconda-runtime) to split
>>> a tree into CDs and build an ISO install.
>>>
>>> See this link:
>>>

>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/BuildInstall
>>
>> You could also google for fedora respin (also
>> re-spin). Anything that
>> applies to FC6 would apply almost exactly to C5.
>>
>> pungi _might_ do it, it was introduced for F7
>>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureUsePungi?highlight=%28pungi%29
>
> But how did CentOS developers created CentOS5 CDs?

We used a highly classified, top secret method ... I could tell you, but
then I would have to kill you :-)

Actually ... I did tell you ... we used buildinstall

Which basically does what Jeroen van Meeuwen said ... then you write the
directories created by splittree to ISO using mkisofs.

pungi (as it is in fedora7/8/9) will not work as anaconda is not correct
in RHEL4/5 (and therefore not in CentOS either).

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes