[CentOS-devel] Timeline for C5 beta / final?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 03:39:57 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Ovidiu Lixandru wrote:

>>> Duplicating the remote setup to a local/virtual machine and giving
>>> the upgrade a shot before tinkering with the live server won't hurt. ;)
>>
>> A killer on remote machines can be when the new kernel detects your
>> NIC cards in a different order and either skips initialization or
>> assigns the wrong IP's.  It may be hard to test that unless you have
>> indentical hardware.  If you have remote support you may be able to
>> talk someone through the fix anyway.
>>

> isnt that why you use hwaddr in your network scripts ?

That's even worse. All of my remote machines have swappable disks and
almost all of them are cloned from a few masters, shipped, and swapped
into the destination machine with the IP address set on a temporary box.
  Somewhere about a year into the life of CentOS 3.x an update fixed an
apparent bug that had until then kept it from  caring about having the
wrong hwaddr in the config files.  It wasn't a lot of fun when they
suddenly ignored their network interfaces on boot-up.  Fortunately I
happened to be visiting one of the remote data centers when the first
one happened and saw the message on the console screen and was able to
fix the others before they were rebooted.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com