[CentOS-devel] Timeline for C5 beta / final?

Rodrigo Barbosa rodrigob at darkover.org
Mon Feb 19 00:43:27 UTC 2007

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 02:41:58AM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> >>We will aim to have the CentOS-5 Final release within 2 weeks of
> >>upstream release. So far, based on news around ETA upstream looks like
> >>15th March.
> >
> >Karan,
> >	I'm asking, obviously, for a guess here.
> >
> >	How viable do you think it will be to do an upgrade from
> >4.4 to 5 on a live system, based on what you've seen on the beta ?
>
> Ok, there are 2 methods to consider here :
>
> 1. doing it with yum on a running machine : its do-able, but requires
> some $clue. The aim is to proide this $clue via a shell script that
> anyone can run to 'move' a machine from C-4 to C-5. There are some
> issues to keep in mind - the only way to handle conflicting packages is
> by repackaging an existing rpm then rpm -e -justdb removing them, going
> through the upgrade and then doing the safest cleanup possible at the end.

Pretty much what I expected, then.

> 2. doing it via anaconda's upgradeany method :

Unfortunatelly, not an option for a live system.

> Either way, orphans are going to get created - and extra dep's are going
> to get installed ( in most cases ) - and the best way to work around
> that, i feel, is to have a firstboot plugin that handles it for anaconda
> upgradeany upgrades and via a shell script for yum upgrades. Once we
> have this script running the way we want, we can then drop that into a
> rpm and moving it into centos-4-extras. Thereby making a move to
> centos-5 as simple as 'yum install upgrade-to-centos5' from a centos-4
> machine

That would be really nice, if samewhat dangerous.

I'm aware that major upgrades like this are not for the faint of heart.
The machine will never be as clean as a new install, also.

And yes, it is always doable, but not always viable.

[]s

- --
Rodrigo Barbosa