[CentOS-devel] BackupPC

Johnny Hughes

Wed Feb 14 14:48:17 UTC 2007

> Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've read with interest the next references:
> > http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2006-April/002216.html
> > http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1299
> >
> > Currently I'm using the package without problems.
> > In fact, I installed it from source before and I used the perl modules
> > provided by Dries' and Dag's repo in first time.
> > At present moment I've removed the mentioned packages and I've used only
> > the c4-testing repo. All the installation and dependencies resolving
> > processes has worked great. Good work Johnny ;)
> >
> > ¿Are there some intentions to move BackupPC from testing-repo to
> > extras-repo?
> >
> > I think it is an interesting package, especially in hybrid environment
> > (Win+Linux, ie.)
>
> The current version is 3.0.0 and would be considerably easier for a new
> user. In a new install it puts all the config files under /etc/BackuPC
> including the per-pc configs and it provides a web based editor for the
> configurations. Another improvement is that it no longer blocks backups
> during the nightly cleanup run.  It may also require some updated perl
> modules.

He has released that final now :) ...

Back to the drawing board :P

The only reason the current version is still in testing and not
production is that it requires running apache (httpd) as the backuppc
user (due to the performance issues if not using mod_perl).

People who are running BackupPC on a separate server where backups are
it's major function will appreciate that.  Some users want (or expect)
it to run as the apache user, which it will not.

That can cause issues ... therefore I have kept it in testing.  (Though
it works great for me in production, with the mod_perl setup).

There is a version in Fedora Extras that takes the non mod_perl approach
and runs as the apache user.

I will upgrade this to the new version soon.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes