[CentOS-devel] Timeline for C5 beta / final?

seth vidal

skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sat Feb 17 21:37:21 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 14:12 -0200, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 10:54:05PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > Joshua Kramer wrote:
> > >
> > >All,
> > >
> > >Does anyone have a timeline for the CentOS 5 release candidates and/or
> > >final?
> >
> > We will aim to have the CentOS-5 Final release within 2 weeks of
> > upstream release. So far, based on news around ETA upstream looks like
> > 15th March.
>
> Karan,
> 	I'm asking, obviously, for a guess here.
>
> 	How viable do you think it will be to do an upgrade from
> 4.4 to 5 on a live system, based on what you've seen on the beta ?

considering where they came from and the kernel versions installed it
should be about the same as updating from Fedora Core 3's original
release to Fedora Core 6's original release.

It's doable thing but it might take some effort to prune out certain
conflicting pkg versions.

I'll be giving it a test when it is out and I'll post my experiences.

-sv