[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5 Beta Initial Test Release

Jason_Meers

Jason_Meers at mv-online.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 10:06:31 UTC 2007

Hi my name is Jason Meers.
I am Head of IT for one of the largest privately owned companies in the
UK. My users are all Windows/Office/Exchange users however 80% of my
network runs on Linux. Approx 95% of our workstations run the
"ThinStation" thin client operating system (which I help develop; mostly
fixes to other peoples code) to connect to Citrix or Win2003 Servers.
All of the "glue" in my network runs on CentOS on mini-itx hardware or
disk-on-chip. Our exchange servers are actually Scalix running on Centos
(but you would never know) and all of the e-mail routing for the UK is
done with Exim on CentOS (I run a website for Exim users, write
tutorials and have written a book about opensource e-mail which is being
published this year). The NCC (National Computer Centre in the UK) used
my network as a basis for some of their papers on Linux which led to
successful implementations of open source in UK local government.

I will be doing a lot of work with SMTP/IMAP/POP3 over the next few
months and will be producing a CentOS based minimal-mail-server-cd with
Karanbir later this year. I also have hardware that needs better QA this
time round (It was impossible to boot/install some versions of 4.x on
VIA EPIA mini-itx hardware, and 3-Ware escalade RAID controller support
stopped working in some versions of the 2.6 kernel last year). I have
also just become an author for a UK based Linux magazine.

Thanks
Jason_Meers
--
http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk