[CentOS-devel] Kernel for Oracle

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 13:18:52 UTC 2007

On 1/8/07, TEOTONIO <lercio.gontijo at gmail.com> wrote:
> When installing oracle (10g for exemple) modifications are need on
> kernel parameters in file /etc/sysctl.conf.
>
> Well :-) ---
> This modifications cannot be done directy on kernel
> source code?
> The kernel source code are prepared for oracle?
>
> I am interest on make this modifications, if this needs.

It's far easier to modify /etc/sysctl.conf  and run sysctl -p to read
in the new values than rebuild a new kernel and reboot. Using the
sysctl mechanism you don't even have any downtime. If you want to have
this set up for new installs, simply use sed/awk in a %post script for
a kickstart file and you can do whatever you want.

George Orwell