[CentOS-devel] Re: logged in sessions - was CentOS 5 ArtWork

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jan 15 19:36:56 UTC 2007

Jason_Meers spake the following on 1/14/2007 10:38 AM:
> Christoph Maser wrote:
>> Actually the default logins (text mode and gdm) both show the hostname.
>> Don't tell me you leave logged in sessions.
> No not normally, only on a few specific machines on the LAN that are
> only accessible from another machine on the LAN.
> 1) Not all backup software has usable command line tools, so sometimes
> you have to connect the a GUI on a logged in session.
> 2) If you look at the way remote desktop(vino-server) and vnc work it is
> impossible to remote control the session if the machine is not already
> logged in (the session doesn't exist). Some dirty workarounds do exist
> i.e the machine uses gnome session, but vnc uses a kde session to avoid
> various conflicts.
I have to disagree. I have a couple of servers that only boot to a level 3
login screen, but I can use vnc to these servers with no problems. The local
terminal rarely gets logged into unless I am using the CDrom drive to load or
fix something. The vnc service does log in to a user account, but you can fix
it to work off xinetd, and block it from being accessed from outside.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!