[CentOS-devel] Language lists

Rodrigo Barbosa rodrigob at darkover.org
Sat Jan 20 20:34:35 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 06:34:31AM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> We've been looking at the idea of starting off local language lists
> starting with German, Spanish and Portuguese. These, since we have had
> people ask for lists and we feel there are people around who can help
> moderate and monitor.
>
> While some work has already been done and there are already some ideas
> floating around, I'd like to ask everyone here on centos-devel what they
> think about this and if any suggestions they might have.
>
> One thing that would be really good is if we can somehow create the
> environment for local language / regional centos support groups to get
> started, and then use that common pool to work with all associated
> resources ( eg, regional / language lists, wiki, web forums, related irc
> channels (?) etc )

Well, let me speak for the portuguese speaking users.

An IRC channel would not work on this case. Conectiva used to have one,
and it never worked as an idea.

The mailing list is, of course, the best channel. Mixing web forums and
a mailing list is not something I particularly enjoy, since most people
we be either on one of the other, and so we would be splitting our
efforts (and audience).

So my guess would be list + wiki.

I can get some quite knowledgable portuguese speaking people to join
the list and give a hand on helping answering questions, so we can get
a good support base there. Most of them are linux professionals in one
way or another (sysadmins, ISP owners/admins, consultants etc), and I'm
sure they would be happy to subscribe to the list and both answer and
ask questions.

My main concern is how to make people aware there lists exist.

On another issue, as Karan suggested earlier, I would like to subscribe
to the idea of having a unified set of moderation rules for all lists/channels,
so it can help the moderators. Having several moderators means, usually,
having several ways of dealing with the same issues. If we can have a
CentOS-way of handling the lists, that would be a very good thing.

Best Regards,

- --
Rodrigo Barbosa